Hi All. This post describe they current issues with latest B1 release and font-size. We will update this post as things progress, but for the time being we can't recommend upgrading to these patch-levels!
Update 5 (21st of September 2014):
B1UP 2014.09 have now been tested on SAP 9.1 PL02 and we can confirm SAP's bug have been fixed so 9.1 is good to go
Update 4 (15th of September 2014):
B1UP 2014.09 is now release and support the new scaling system: http://www.boyum-it.com/sbo
Update 3 (23th of August 2014):
We now have a hotfix workaround to fix the worst problem this cause. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get it (in order to apply the hotfix you need to run B1UP 2014.08 (http://www.boyum-it.com/sbo)) ... The hotfix makes it possible to work on non 10 pixel but some windows that resize in a special way will still have some issues. We expect a full compatibility in B1UP 2014.09 (Mid. September with early access 8th of September). As for SAP PL12 have a releated bug as well so PL13 is recommended.
Update 2 (17th of August 2014):
With more investigation and the help from SAP Support we now fully understand the issue and have a plan for working around it:
Details regarding 9.1 issue:
- SAP 9.1 is right now broken in regards to font size and only SAP can fix this. The have informed us this will happen in 9.1 PL02 that is out mid. September. Untill that time only workaround it on bescribed below (if a big big issue for you please contact
- and we can offer some additional options as well that require a bit more work on your end)
Details regarding 9.0 PL12/13 issue:
- This issue lies in that SAP now support Add-on auto-scaling. Something that was not there before. This is a great feature but for current releases gives some challenges
- Our investigation show that it actually not SAP that is at fault here (at least not in PL13) but due to the changed behavior we need to write our code in a different way
The plan for fixing this (for 9.0):
- We are already in the progress of changing our code to deal with the new situation but it will take a few days to do so
- Once changes are complete we will release a 2014.08.1 hotfix release that you will need to upgrade to in order to get rid of the problem (we unfortunately can't fix this retroactively)
For any people/other SSPs you wish to understand the nerdy details here they are:
The issue comes due to an older issue in the SDK that happen if you opened a Form from XML in a B1 Client that had too low resolution to show the entire screen it was cut off and did not add scrollbars (like the System forms does). For that reason we had code that tricked SDK to force scrollbars to screens if needed by manipulating the ClientHeight, but the issue is that this code expect the height of the screen will be as defined in the XML. SAPs new auto-scaling makes that assumption incorrect and for that reason the code will make the screen too small in height.
Workaround is that I need to take this code out if version is higher than 9.0 PL12 (because it looks like the scrollbar issue is now resolved as well (or in any case it is better to have the scrollbar issue instead of cut off screens all the time))
Secondary issue (general):
The fact that we cannot assume XML width/height and real screen width/height being the same anymore also cause issues when manual resize is used and I can confirm this is true… There is not really anything SAP can do about this and as mentioned a more mathematical approach to such resizing will make it possible to do.
Who is affected?
You are affected if you:
- Run SBO 9.0 PL12 and use a font-size different from 10 pixel
- Run SBO 9.0 PL13 and use a font-size different from 10 pixel
- Run SBO 9.1 and use a font-size different from 10 pixel
Back in SBO2007 SAP introduced that the B1 Client was able to run different font-sizes other than 10 pixel. It was great for people wanting bigger font but issue was that this change did not affect add-on (only system screens) making add-on screens possible but not pretty to look at.
In SBO 9.0 PL12 I now have confirmation from SAP Labs china that they tried to make add-ons work with font-sizes. A great initiative but it caused some issues on screens described in this SAP note: http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2042345 ... They then tried to fix this in PL13 but it have some side effects still:
- It cause screens to cut their lower part off where the OK/Cancel buttons normally is
- It sometimes also cut off part of the right side of the screen
SAP 9.1 is also affected (at least PL01 but we expect PL00 is also affected)
What are Boyum doing about it?
Short term: We are in talks SAP's developers directly to figure out workarounds for those affected
Long term: We will embrace their new font-size support once it is clear how to proceed as it actually is a great initiative
What is SAP doing about it?
- Working with us to help resolve the issue
- Making a change in 9.1 PL02 that should help on that version
Help: I'm affected by this. What should I do
We do not have the full picture in this initial writing yet but if possible for now switch to font 10 as it is not affected. If you for some reason are unable to do so you can do a reset XML (Administration > Add-ons > B1 Usability Package > Help and Troubleshooting). An XML reset will ensure a screen being opened correctly the next time you open it (need to be repeated every time you open).